Jimmy Fallon's obsession with Wordle app sends wrong games up charts

Playing Wordle app on your phone? If you downloaded it from Apple App Store or Google Play Store, it’s not the game that celebrities like Jimmy Fallon have been tweeting about.
By BLOOMBERG
| Updated on Jan 11 2022, 04:46 PM IST
More than 300,000 people are playing Wordle across the world.
More than 300,000 people are playing Wordle across the world.

Playing Wordle app on your phone? If you downloaded it from Apple’s App Store or Google Play, it’s not the same addictive game that celebrities like Jimmy Fallon and members of the band the Lumineers have been tweeting about. In that game, you have six tries to guess a five-letter word and can brag on Twitter if you win. It was created in October by former Reddit software engineer Josh Wardle and is available to play only once a day on his website.

In December, Wardle added a “share results” feature and players jumped to more than 300,000 from 90 by Jan. 1, according to the New York Times. Then, Fallon told his 51.4 million Twitter followers that he was addicted. Wardle didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

As the term “Wordle” began trending and news outlets picked up on its popularity, other versions for mobile devices started to catch on.

Over the weekend in Apple’s U.S. App Store, two Wordles shot up the charts in the Word category. At No. 8 is Wordle!, a time-based game created by developer Steven Cravotta, which was launched in the U.S. App Store more than five years ago.

At No. 13 is Wordle, which Candyblocks launched this month. The game offers 1,000 levels to play through, according to its description. Wordle - Daily Word Games!, also released this month by Mediaflex Games, is at No. 58.

In the past, Apple has taken down clones of hit games. When the developer of the viral sensation Flappy Bird pulled his game in 2014, it continued to live on in meme games until Apple took action.

James Corden tests positive for COVID-19, 'The Late Late Show' pauses production

Los Angeles, Jan 7 (PTI) Actor-comedian James Corden has revealed that he has tested positive for a case of breakthrough coronavirus.

In a post on Instagram on Thursday, the 43-year-old actor said his CBS talk show "The Late Late Show" will be going "off the air for the next few days".

"I just tested positive for COVID-19. I'm fully vaccinated, boosted, and because of this, am fortunate enough to say I feel completely fine," Corden wrote in the post.

According to Deadline, "The Late Late Show" will air repeats this week and next before returning with new episodes.

Corden’s positive test follows fellow late-night hosts Seth Meyers and Jimmy Fallon also revealing their breakthrough diagnoses.

Meyers, the host of NBC's "Late Night", announced earlier this week that he had tested positive for COVID-19 and was feeling fine thanks to his vaccines and booster.

Fallon had revealed on January 3 that he tested positive for coronavirus at the end of December as he was gearing up to appear on "Saturday Night Live".

Follow HT Tech for the latest tech news and reviews , also keep up with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. For our latest videos, subscribe to our YouTube channel.

First Published Date: 11 Jan, 04:46 PM IST
NEXT ARTICLE BEGINS
keep up with tech