How to withdraw money from an ATM without a debit/credit card
You can now withdraw money from an ATM without your card with the help of an UPI-based app and a QR code. So the next time you need money and don’t have your ATM card, don’t worry!
NCR Corporation, the firm that makes ATMs (automated teller machines) in India has launched a UPI-enabled interoperable cardless cash withdrawing system here, according to reports. This facility has been launched by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and the City Union Bank in a partnership.
This tech allows users to easily withdraw cash from an ATM without the credit or debit card. The City Union Bank has reportedly said that around 1,500 of its ATMs across the country already support this feature.
Now, the most important part - how does one withdraw money without a card?
You can withdraw money using this tech by using your smartphone and any UPI-enabled application like BHIM, GPay, Paytm, PhonePe etc.
To pick up money:
- You need to go to an ATM that supports this tech and scan the QR code on the machine.
- Next, you need to punch in the exact amount of money you want to withdraw.
- Now you will need to authorise the transaction using the UPI-enabled mobile app.
- Once the transaction is approved on the app, you can withdraw your money.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind for this:
- The QR codes you scan on the ATMs are all dynamic so they change for every transaction and cannot be copied. You will have to scan a new QR code every time you want to withdraw money. This is perhaps tedious but it is the best way to secure your transactions.
- The withdrawal limit in this case is most probably going to start with only ₹5,000 and be increased later.
NCR Corp and NPCI are currently in talks to figure out how and when this facility can be implemented across all ATMs in the country and they are also speaking to both public and private banks. A formal association with all of them is expected to be announced over the next few months.
A spokesperson from NCR Corp has said that they have upgraded their existing software to allow this facility to work on City Union ATMs so there is no need to upgrade the hardware for this. Currently functioning ATMs can all be upgraded with new software for this.