Indian government bans 43 apps: Here’s the complete list
India had first banned 59 mobile apps in June 2020 and then extended the ban to 118 more apps in September 2020.
The Indian government on Tuesday banned 43 mobile apps, many of them Chinese, in India under section 69A of the IT Act.
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology said that the action was taken based on the inputs regarding these apps for engaging in ‘activities that are prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order.'
The move comes months after the government first banned 59 mobile apps in June 2020 and then extended the ban to 118 more apps in September 2020. This totals to 177 apps. With the latest apps being banned, the total number of apps being banned in India stands at 220.
All these apps were banned under section 69A of the Information Technology Act. “Government is committed to protect the interests of citizens and sovereignty and integrity of India on all fronts and it shall take all possible steps to ensure that,” the PIB press release stated explaining why these apps have been banned.
Here's the entire list of apps banned by the government this time:
- AliSuppliers Mobile App
- Alibaba Workbench
- AliExpress - Smarter Shopping, Better Living
- Alipay Cashier
- Lalamove India - Delivery App
- Drive with Lalamove India
- Snack Video
- CamCard - Business Card Reader
- CamCard - BCR (Western)
- Soul- Follow the soul to find you
- Chinese Social - Free Online Dating Video App & Chat
- Date in Asia - Dating & Chat For Asian Singles
- WeDate-Dating App
- Free dating app-Singol, start your date!
- Adore App
- TrulyChinese - Chinese Dating App
- TrulyAsian - Asian Dating App
- ChinaLove: dating app for Chinese singles
- DateMyAge: Chat, Meet, Date Mature Singles Online
- AsianDate: find Asian singles
- FlirtWish: chat with singles
- Guys Only Dating: Gay Chat
- Tubit: Live Streams
- First Love Live- super hot live beauties live online
- Rela - Lesbian Social Network
- Cashier Wallet
- MGTV-HunanTV official TV APP
- WeTV - TV version
- WeTV - Cdrama, Kdrama&More
- WeTV Lite
- Lucky Live-Live Video Streaming App
- Taobao Live
- Identity V
- Isoland 2: Ashes of Time
- BoxStar (Early Access)
- Heroes Evolved
- Happy Fish
- Jellipop Match-Decorate your dream island！
- Munchkin Match: magic home building
- Conquista Online II
The government's decision to ban these 43 apps comes even as the older banned apps are waiting for a clarification to decide on their future course of action after they submitted detailed responses to government questionnaires.
Earlier this year, the Indian government had banned popular apps like TikTok, WeChat, CamScanner and PUBG Mobile and PUBG Mobile Lite
Follow HT Tech for the latest tech news and reviews , also keep up with us on Twitter, Facebook, Google News, and Instagram. For our latest videos, subscribe to our YouTube channel.