Dangerous! LED TV explodes, kills 16-year old boy and damages wall
You have heard of smartphones exploding but have you ever heard the same for a TV? Based on a media report, it is said that an LED TV recently exploded in a Ghaziabad house, killing a 16-year-old and injuring the deceased's relatives. The blast was so intense that it caused the wall to crack as well. The case is under investigation by the police and more details are awaited on the incident. It is yet to be known which brand did the TV belong to.
The blast has left four family members injured, which included the teenager, mother, friend and sister-in-law of the teenager. The mother and the friend of the 16-year-old are still undergoing treatment at the hospital, while the teenager succumbed to the injuries.
"The LED TV apparently exploded while the two teenagers were watching a film. Omwati was doing some household work near the two of them and Monica, her daughter-in-law, was sleeping on the ground floor. The blast impact was so strong that a portion of the wall collapsed on Monica while the side wall of the building was also damaged. There was no one else at the house," said Bhuvneshwar Kumar, SHO, Tila Mor police station.
LED TV explodes, killing teenager
Cases of TV explosions are rare and it remains to be seen which brand of LED TV was involved in the situation. Unlike smartphones and mobile phones, TVs don't have Lithium Ion batteries to deal with. Hence, it could be due to some faulty wiring or shoddy repair job.
While the details regarding the case are awaited, there are a couple of things you can do to keep yourself safe.
- You should always turn off the TV when not in use.
- When repairing your TV, you should always take it to authorised service centers.
- You should always ensure your TV remains in a well ventilated space.
- Always prefer to buy ISI certified electronic appliances from brands that have a proper service network as well as personnel.