GTA 5 is available for free: Here’s how you get it
- Epic Games Store has GTA 5 available for free till May 21
We reported yesterday that the Epic Games Store had GTA 5, or Grand Theft Auto 5, up for free and the rush to download the game had crashed the site. And that is understandable, given that GTA is one of the most iconic video games in the world and most people have played at least one version of it for the other.
However, GTA 5, is the second best version of the game in all time having sold 120 million copies till date. Epic Games is now giving it away for free till May 21. And it's not just that, what's up for easy download is the most premium edition of the game that comes with a $1,000,000 cash bonus bundled in. You can use this cash in the game.
🚘🚨 THE VAULT HAS BEEN OPENED 🚨🚘— Epic Games Store (@EpicGames) May 15, 2020
We're kicking off the #EpicMegaSale this year with something big: @RockstarGames' best-selling, award-winning Grand Theft Auto V: Premium Edition is FREE on the Epic Games Store until May 21! https://t.co/Fx1ObWkJkm pic.twitter.com/xItT5rCVqN
Clearly, everyone wants to download the game and wants to download it right now. The site has been crashing and showing errors for many users while others have been experiencing very slow load times. Fortnite players, the other very popular game from the developers, have also been affected by games crashing due to increased server load caused by users trying to download GTA 5.
Epic Games acknowledge the issue and have claimed to have solved it, so we assume that you can now try and download the game and keep it in your library to play later. Here's how you do it:
- Go to epicgames.com.
- Sign up for a new account if you don't have one already. You need to set up a two-factor authentication (2FA), it is compulsory to download this game.
- Go to Account, click on ‘Passwords and security' and set up 2FA. Then head back to the home page and search for GTA 5.
- Open up the game description page and click on ‘Get'.
- This will bring up the ‘Order' button. Clicking on the ‘Order' button will add the game to your Library.
Now you need to install the game.
- After GTA 5 has been added into your library, you need to download and install the Epic Games Launcher from the company website. The launcher is about 400MB in size.
- Install that, log in with your Epic Games Store credentials.
- Click on ‘Library'. You will find GTA 5 here. Select it and press ‘Install'.
- The game is about 95GB in size so use your WiFi to download and install it, it will be easier and faster.
Make sure you download it once on your PC after you have added the game to your library since this will ensure that you can play it whenever you want. Sometimes, some game stores remove games when the free offer is over, so let's not take chances here.