WhatsApp payments: Send, receive money using UPI. Here is how to
WhatsApp can help you do some money transactions. Know here how to send and receive money on WhatsApp payments using UPI.
WhatsApp not only allows its users to interact, chat and share media files (photos, videos, audios, GIFs, etc.) but also lets its users send and receive money. The financial transactions can be done through WhatsApp payments using the UPI (Unified Payment Interface). Now WhatsApp users can transfer money to other people in their contact list. However, it needs to be noted that you need to add your bank account to WhatsApp to send and receive money.
Now, if your Google Pay, Paytm or PhonePe, is not working due to any reason or you simply want a new option, then you can try doing a transaction via WhatsApp Payments. Here is how to send and receive money on WhatsApp payments - explained.
How to send money on WhatsApp payments:
1. Open the chat with whom you would like to carry out a money transaction, then tap Attach and then Payment.
2. Tap Continue to verify your debit card information.
3. Enter the last 6 digits of your debit card number and expiration date.
4. Tap Done and set up UPI PIN.
5. The OTP (One Time Password) may be pre-filled. If not, an SMS containing the OTP may be sent to your phone. Type the OTP under ENTER OTP. To send another OTP to your phone, tap Resend OTP.
6. Create a UPI (Unified Payment Interface) PIN (Personal Identification Number) and enter it under SETUP UPI PIN and tap Submit.
7. Once UPI setup is complete, tap Done.
8. Open the chat with whom you would like to send money, tap Attach and then Payment.
9. Enter the rupee amount you would like to send.
10. Enter a description for the payment and tap Send.
It can be noted that you may be asked to enter the UPI PIN before sending a payment. Once the payment is sent, the transaction details will be listed in the chat, including a transaction ID.
Also, you will not be able to send money if your contact does not have payments enabled. You will see the following pop-up message when trying to send them money: "To receive a payment, needs to set up payments in WhatsApp by tapping Settings > Payments"
If your bank account is already added, you are ready to receive money. However, in order to receive money when your bank account is not added to WhatsApp, here is what you need to do:
How to receive money on WhatsApp payments: