Valorant crowned as the Best Esports game at the Game Awards 2022; know details

    Valorant wins the best Esports game title at the Game Awards 2022. Check the full list here.

    By: HT TECH
    | Updated on: Dec 09 2022, 17:04 IST
    Rocket League Sideswipe tops BEST multiplayer games list at Google Play 2022 India awards
    Rocket League Sideswipe
    1/7 Google Play best of 2022 in India is a yearly award by the company to recognize the best performing applications of the year. (Rocket League Sideswipe)
    Apple iPhone SE
    2/7 One of the subcategories in gaming was the ‘best multiplayer games of 2022’. Any game that is played with other real players online were part of this category. (Amritanshu/ HT Tech)
    image caption
    3/7 While the competition was tough, Rocket League Sideswipe won the award. It is an arcade style car battle game where the aim of the game is to score goals by striking the ball with the car. The unique aspect of the mobile version of the game is that it is played with 3D cars in 2D landscape. (Rocket League Sideswipe)
    Apex Legends Mobile
    4/7 Google Play also announced multiple honorable mentions in the category. The first to be recognized was Apex Legends Mobile. The hero battle royale game also won the overall best game of 2022. (Apex Legends)
    image caption
    5/7 Catalyst Black, a third-person battleground shooter with multiple game modes, also got an honorable mention. (Catalyst Black)
    image caption
    6/7 Also to get an honorable mention was Farlight 84, a massive online multiplayer game that runs on the Unreal Engine 4. Alongside battle royale, it also has multiple other game modes that players can play. (Farlight 84)
    image caption
    7/7 The final multiplayer game to get an honorable mention was Offroad Unchained which is a PvP offroad car racing game. (Offroad Unchained)
    Valorant
    View all Images
    The Game Awards 2022 listed Valorant as the best esport game. (Valorant / Twitter)

    The Game Awards 2022 have finally been announced and Volarant has emerged at the top! The competition was between four other games and Riot Games' first-person hero shooter game Valorant bagged the crown of the best Esports game at The Game Awards 2022. Last year at the annual best game awards, League of Legends was crowned as the best Esports game. However, the Valorant Champions Tour, which became one of the biggest events in the Esports community, definitely helped the game to grab the title this year.

    Surprisingly, Valorant was released in 2021 and within a year of its release, Riot Games started hosting official tournaments. In this short span of time, Valorant quickly gained popularity against its competitors, especially Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO). Apart from Valorant, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, DOTA 2, League of Legends, and Rocket League were also nominated.

    The annual Game Awards also named Yay as the best Esports athletes of the year. He tweeted, "Won Best Esports Athlete of the year from @thegameawards! Its crazy to be selected among so many other talented hard working individuals in esports so I am forever grateful. All I can say is thank you to the community and all the people who I've met that helped me here now." The best Esports Athlete list included Chovy, Faker, Karrigan, and S1mple.

    Esports Charts show that Valorant Champions 2022 achieved over one million peak views and more than five hundred million viewers on an average. The tournament held from late August to September 19 features a prize pool of US$1 million.

    The annual awards ceremony, Game Awards is hosted by Geoff Keighley who listed the best releases and accomplishments in the gaming industry. To decide the winners, the award ceremony used a combined voting system where 90 percent of the votes are given by the selected jury and the rest of the 10 percent comes from the public.

    Follow HT Tech for the latest tech news and reviews , also keep up with us on Twitter, Facebook, Google News, and Instagram. For our latest videos, subscribe to our YouTube channel.

    First Published Date: 09 Dec, 16:32 IST
    Tags:
    NEXT ARTICLE BEGINS
    keep up with tech