Bank Holidays in January 2022: Banks to remain shut on these days; but online banking open 24/7
Bank Holidays in January 2022: Banks will remain closed for 9 days in the first month of the year. But online banking will work on bank holidays too.
Bank Holidays in January 2022: The new year is here and people will be returning back to their work now. As the month of January has started, they will be planning and setting goals for the complete month and the year. Similarly, bank customers also need to plan to get their banking work done on time. Therefore it is important to know when the banks will remain closed in the first month of 2022 in order to plan the banking activities. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) releases a list of bank holidays every year. According to the bank holiday list banking activities will remain affected for 9 days in January, excluding the weekends (second and fourth Saturdays and Sundays).
However, it can be noted that though the banks will remain closed, online banking services will continue to operate on holidays as well. Bank customers will not be able to withdraw and deposit money at the bank branches due to the holidays but they can use online banking services, ATMs, mobile banking, etc. It can also be known that on certain specific days, banks will close in just a few cities and not nation-wide.
If you have any pending or upcoming bank-related work to do or have to withdraw cash during the forthcoming week or have to visit your nearest branch, then you can check the list of bank holidays below:
1. January 1, 2022: The banks will remain closed on the eve of New Year in Aizawl, Chennai, Gangtok and Shillong.
2. January 3, 2022: The banks will remain closed due to New Year's Celebration/Losoong in Aizawl and Gangtok.
3. January 4, 2022: The banks will remain closed on the occasion of Losoong in Gangtok.
4. January 11, 2022: The banks will remain closed on the occasion of Missionary Day in Aizawl.
5. January 12, 2022: The banks will remain closed on the occasion of the Birthday of Swami Vivekananda in Kolkata.
6. January 14, 2022: The banks will remain closed on the eve of Makar Sankranti/Pongal in Ahmedabad and Chennai.
7. January 15, 2022: The banks will remain closed on the eve of Uttarayaana Punyakaala Makar Sankranti Festival/Maghe Sankranti/Sankranti/Pongal/Thiruvalluvar Day in Bengaluru, Chennai, Gangtok and Hyderabad.
8. January 18, 2022: The banks will remain closed on the occasion of Thai Poosam in Chennai.
9. January 26, 2022: The banks will remain closed on the occasion of Republic Day in all cities except Agartala, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Guwahati, Imphal, Jaipur, Kochi and Srinagar.
The banks will also remain closed on January 8, 2022 and January 22, 2022 due to second and fourth Saturdays and on January 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30 because of Sundays, apart from the above-mentioned holidays.
The RBI grants holidays to the banks under three categories. The three categories include Holiday under Negotiable Instruments Act, Holiday under Negotiable Instruments Act and Real Time Gross Settlement Holiday and Banks' Closing of Accounts.