Google Photos backup: How to delete, or restore, your photos and videos
- You need to install Google Photos on your Android device, iPhone or iPads if you want to create a backup of photos and videos you want to delete.
Google Photos backup: Is your phone storage getting full with images and videos? Photos and videos captured in your phone not only make an event or occasion or trip memorable but can bring some pleasant flashbacks. So, it is heartbreaking when you have to make a decision whether to keep some or not. While changing your phone or creating storage space it becomes very difficult to delete all the lovely pictures and videos. However, to avoid deleting them, you can create a backup courtesy Google Photos backup. If you use Google Photos and have turned on Backup and Sync, photos and videos you delete will stay in your trash for as long as 60 days before they are deleted forever.
No matter if you are an android user or iPhone or iPad user, you need to install Google Photos app and take a backup of all the images and videos before starting to delete them. If you are an iPhone or iPad user you can know that up to 1500 items can be deleted from your Google Photo library or your SD card at a time. Therefore, if you want to delete photos and videos and want to later restore it then here is what you need to do.
How to delete photos and videos on Google Photos
1. On your Android phone or tablet or iPhone or iPad, open the Google Photos app.
2. Sign in to your Google Account.
3. Tap and hold a photo or video you want to move to trash. You can select multiple items.
4. Then tap on Delete.
It can be noted that if you delete a photo or video that is backed up in Google Photos, it will stay in your trash for 60 days.
However, please note that if you delete an item without it being backed up, it will stay in your trash for 30 days in android phones while in iPhone or iPad it will get deleted forever.
Also, if you see a photo or video in Google Photos that you think you deleted, it might be on a removable memory card. To delete it, use your device’s gallery app.
To permanently delete an item from your device:
1. On your Android phone or tablet or iPhone or iPad, open the Google Photos app and sign in to your Google Account.
2. Select the items you want to delete and tap on More option and then Delete from device.
How to restore photos and videos
If you have deleted an item and want it back, check your trash to see if it is there.
1. Open the Google Photos app. At the bottom, tap Library and then Trash.
2. Touch and hold the photo or video you want to restore.
3. At the bottom, tap Restore. The photo or video will be back: In your phone’s gallery app, in your Google Photos library, in any albums it was in.
However, if the item is not found in your trash, it may have been permanently deleted. Also, if a deleted photo or video is not in trash, you cannot restore it.