Top tips: Here's how to prevent EV Scooters from catching fire
EV scooters have been in the news recently for the wrong reasons- some models have caught fire. However, there is no reason to worry as here is how to prevent EV Scooters from catching fire.
Electric vehicles may be the future of mobility in India but the recent reports of electric scooters catching fire in India have raised safety concerns. Though the sales of electric scooters have surged in the last few years, the fire incidents have cast a shadow on it. There have been four incidents of fire in the last few days. The first incident that was reported last week in Pune. The explosion took place right on the road while the scooter was parked. Another incident that gave us a hint of the gravity of the issue was an incident in Vellore in which 2 people died. Two other incidents, one in Trichy and the other in Chennai also brought the entire EV industry under the scanner. With these cases receiving much attention, fear of the unknown has spread among the public. However, rather than fear, let reason rule and here you can find out how to prevent EV Scooters from catching fire.
Electric vehicles are powered by Lithium-ion batteries, the same power source that also runs smartphones. The size and scale of the explosions and fire on phones is of course smaller than in electric scooters.
Maxson Lewis, MD and CEO of Magenta, was quoted by BGR as saying that companies cannot copy-paste international solutions into India.
Check how to prevent your EV Scooter from catching fire
1. Use only OEM specified Charger for specific battery type. Do not change for someone's else's.
2. Keep batteries at room temperature. Let the batteries cool down for some time before charging them.
3. If you find the battery casing is damaged immediately isolate it.
4. Keep the battery and charger in a clean, dry and ventilated place, avoid contact with corrosive substances, and disconnect the charger from the battery.
5. Change your lead acid batteries at regular 3-month intervals) Once the battery reaches approx. 30% of total charge, charge the battery to improve its life.