How to make calls via Gmail: Steps for laptops, Android, iPhone
Gmail is a gift that keeps on giving. Over the last few years, we have seen several smart features coming here to simply make our emailing experience pleasant. Earlier this year, Google gave away the Google Workspace features for free to all users and along with it came the feature to make calls. This is not a new feature as the same was available via Hangouts previously. However, Google now makes it more convenient to access.
In the latest version of Gmail, you can make calls easily from any device, be it a laptop, your Android smartphone or tablet, or your iPhone. You will find the ways to make those calls easily on any device here.
Gmail calls on Android, iPhone
The process to make Gmail calls on Android and iPhone devices is easy. If you have a regular Gmail account:
- Open Gmail app and tap on the “Meet” button on the taskbar.
- Now tap on the “New Meeting” button. You will get options to start an instant meeting, share the meeting link, or schedule one in Google Calendar.
- If you choose to join an instant meeting, tap on the “Share Invite” button to share the link with your caller.
- Once they tap on the link, they will automatically be brought in the meeting space. You can add multiple participants in the Gmail meeting.
If you have a Google Workspace account, the process is similar as well. However, you can also use the Google Chat space to make a call.
Open Gmail and tap on the “Chat” button.
- Select your char window from the listed ones and open it.
- Now tap on the “+” icon and choose the “Meet Link”.
- You will see a Meet Link in the text box, which you need to send.
- Now both you and your contact need to tap on the link to start a meeting.
Gmail calls on PC
Whether you have a workspace account or a regular account, this is how you make a call via Gmail on your PC.
- Open Gmail on your web browser.
- On the left side bar, scroll down to the "Meet" section and click on “New Meeting”.
- A new window will pop up with an invitational link.
- You can either copy this link to share via text, or you can send the same via email to your caller.
- Once you send it, click on the “Join Now” button and wait until the other person joins via the same link.