Australian man sues Apple after his iPhone X allegedly exploded in his pocket
Melbourne-based scientist has sued Apple after his iPhone X allegedly exploded in his pocket leaving him with second-degree burns.
An Australian man has filed a lawsuit against Apple after his iPhone X allegedly exploded in his pocket leading to second-degree burns. According to a report in 7NEWS, the incident occured in Melbourne in 2019 but the man is taking legal action now because Apple has allegedly failed to respond to his questions about the problem.
Scientist Robert De Rose was in his office when he felt a pain in his leg and heard a “fizzing” sound coming from his pocket.
De Rose told 7NEWS that he heard a paint pop, followed by a fizz and then felt an intense pain on his right leg. That's when he jumped up and realised it was because of his phone.
He pulled the iPhone X, which was just a little over a year old, out of his pocket and found black smoke coming out of it.
De Rose has alleged that he's suffered second-degree burns on his thigh due to the exploding iPhone X. “I had ash everywhere, and my skin had peeled back,” he said to 7NEWS.
He has also claimed that he has reached out to Apple multiple times about this but he's not received a response and as a result he is now working with Carbone Lawyers to take legal action against Apple and is looking for compensation.
This particular legal firm is also representing a second person from Melbourne who claims that he suffered a burn on his wrist due to his Apple Watch overheating. Both the cases have been filed in County Court.
An Apple spokesperson told 7NEWS that the company is investigating both the cases.
While we wait to hear what ultimately happens in these cases, it is important to remember that these are rare user cases and it does not necessarily mean that your iPhone X or Apple Watch might cause you grievous injuries.