Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 detailed: Here's what high-end Android phones will get in 2021
Here’s everything that 5nm-based Snapdragon 888 can bring to your premium Android phones by next year.
Qualcomm, on day 2 of its ‘Snapdragon Tech Summit’, has finally dropped details on its flagship processor for Android smartphones – Snapdragon 888. This also indicates the capabilities that high-end phones can feature in 2021. A lot has been focussed on the AI prowess of the mobile chipset along with gaming features and graphics.
So, here’s everything that 5nm-based Snapdragon 888 can bring to your premium Android phones by next year.
- 6th Gen Qualcomm Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engine that works on everything from photography to connectivity. The re-engineered Qualcomm Hexagon 780 processor brings the performance to 26 TOPS (Tera Operations Per Second). Adding to it is the 2nd Gen Qualcomm Sensing Hub with dedicated AI processor.
- Snapdragon 888 has 3rd Gen Qualcomm Snapdragon X60 5G Modem-RF System that enhances 5G globally across more networks than before. Along with this, you get FastConnect 6900 Mobile Connectivity System features for Wi-Fi 6E (up to 3.6 Gbps).
- In terms of camera, Snapdragon 888 is the company’s first with triple ISP. This will let the smartphone shoot three 4K HDR videos or three 28-megapixel photos, simultaneously. It’s also the first Qualcomm Spectra 580 ISP with true 10-bit HDR photo capture support. Adding to the camera capabilities is the new Low Light architecture that lets you click brighter photos even in “near-complete darkness.”
- The Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming this time comes with Variable Rate Shading (VRS) that provides up to 30% performance improvement for richer game worlds, while Qualcomm Game Quick Touch lowers latency. This is complemented with Adreno 660 GPU that delivers 35% faster graphics rendering, Game Quick Touch that increases responsiveness by up to 20% and Kryo 680 CPU that brings 25% higher performance and efficiency with new architecture based on Arm Cortex-X1 technology.
- Snapdragon 888 can support phones with 4K resolution or QHD+ resolution at 60Hz and 144Hz respectively. This is in addition to HDR10 and HDR10+. It also supports handsets with LPDDR5 memory up to 3200MHz.