Delhi gets protection from cybercrime as OTP, WhatsApp scams rise; check full list
- As cybercrime, including OTP, WhatsApp scams, has increased Delhi Police has launched a crackdown.
India has gone digital with a vengeance. Almost all aspects of life, from ordering groceries to making large financial transactions and everything in between has gone online especially after the spread of the coronavirus and the subsequent slapping of frequent and lengthy lockdowns by authorities to ensure social distancing. Even as there has been a gradual opening up of the country from the lockdown mode, the online trend is not going down. It is here to stay. Unfortunately, even as the money has moved online, cybercriminals too have followed and they are constantly trying to lure users into traps. Many users are caught and lose money. However, there is some relief on way as authorities have launched a crackdown in Delhi.
Now, users will be able to benefit from newly created cyber crime police stations in each police district, which are expected to start functioning from Wednesday. There are as many as 15 Delhi Police districts in Delhi.
Putting things in perspective for the public, Deputy Commissioner of Police, New Delhi, Deepak Yadav who said that cybercrime has increased significantly in Delhi. He said, "Keeping this in mind, it has been decided to set up a cybercell police station in all the districts".
Yadav added that, "Criminals have come up with new ways to cheat people. Cybercriminals, nowadays, are very cleverly hacking people's OTP (One Time Password) and withdrawing money from their accounts. Apart from this, they are installing and using unverified softwares, hacking WhatsApp data etc. Keeping this in mind, these cyber police stations have been created."
Yadav then explained the benefits to be derived from the new setup. He said, "Now, with the opening of more cyber cell police stations, complaints related to cybercrime will also be written in other stations and it will also be investigated".
He said that a cybercrime police station has been set up in Mandir Marg police station in his district. Along with this, he said that there is already a cyber cell in Delhi Police, but its job was only to cooperate with the local police in the investigation.
DCP Shahdara, R Sathiyasundram said, "Cybercrime police station has been made in Shahdara police station in this district. At present, two teams of 5 members each have been constituted in Shahdara cyber cell police station. In the coming times, the teams will be increased according to the need." He was speaking to ANI.
Here is the list of cybercrime police stations in Delhi
1. East District Cyber Police Station has been set up at Thana Pandav Nagar,
2. North East District Cyber Police Station at Thana Jyoti Nagar,
3. South District Cyber Police Station at Thana Saket,
4. South East District Cyber Police Station Thana at Badarpur,
5. South West District Cyber Police Station will be at Vasant Vihar,
6. West District Cyber Police Station will be at Hari Nagar,
7. Outer District Cyber Police Station will be at Paschim Vihar,
8. Central District Cyber Police Station will be at Kamla Market,
9.North District Cyber Police Station will be in the building of ACP Operations,
10. Maurice Nagar area, Cyber Police Station of North West District at Mukherjee Nagar,
11. Cyber Police Station of Shahdara District at Shahdara,
12. Cyber Police Station of Rohini District at Thana Budh Vihar,
13. Cyber Police Station of New Delhi District Thana will be in Mandir Marg,
14. Cyber Police Station of Dwarka District will be at Thana Dwarka North,
15. Cyber Police Station of Outer North District will be at Thana Samaypur Badli.