Dorsey backs Twitter’s decision to take down Trump’s campaign tribute video

    The move is likely to further heighten tensions between the US president and social networking platforms.
    By HT TECH
    | Updated on Jun 06 2020, 09:35 AM IST
    Dorsey said the video was pulled because the company got a DMCA complaint from copyright holder.
    Dorsey said the video was pulled because the company got a DMCA complaint from copyright holder. (AP)
    Dorsey said the video was pulled because the company got a DMCA complaint from copyright holder.
    Dorsey said the video was pulled because the company got a DMCA complaint from copyright holder. (AP)

    Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has responded to Donald Trump’s post that said the company had deliberately taken down a campaign tribute video of the US president “showing empathy for peaceful protestors.” Trump in his post further alleged that the move was “one-sided” and “illegal.”

    “Not true and not illegal. This was pulled because we got a DMCA complaint from copyright holder,” said Dorsey quoting Trump’s tweet this morning.

    Also read: Looking for a smartphone? To check mobile finder click here.

    According to davidharrisjr, the website Trump quoted, Twitter had taken down the video and put a label saying it had been disabled in “response to a claim by the copyright owner.” The website says the video is still available on Donald Trump’s YouTube channel. The video featured George Floyd as well.

    The latest incident comes amid an ongoing tussle between the social networking platforms and Trump. The US president had signed an executive order that sought to restrict liability protections given to the social media companies. The move came after Twitter added a fact-check label to one of the tweets from Trump.

    Dorsey had earlier said that his company will continue to flag “incorrect” or “disputed information” on its platform. 

    Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, however, took a different position as the company decided to leave up Trump’s controversial posts as they were. Since then, Zuckerberg has been facing a major backlash within and outside the company over the issue.

    Zuckerberg on late Friday promised to review the company’s content policies.

    "We're going to review our policies allowing discussion and threats of state use of force to see if there are any amendments we should adopt," he wrote in a post. "We're going to review potential options for handling violating or partially-violating content aside from the binary leave-it-up or take-it-down decisions."

     

    Follow HT Tech for the latest tech news and reviews , also keep up with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. For our latest videos, subscribe to our YouTube channel.

    First Published Date: 06 Jun, 09:35 AM IST
    NEXT ARTICLE BEGINS
    keep up with tech