Big setback for gamers as Fortnite shut down in China
- Fortnite shut down was caused by the crackdown by China on online gaming platforms.
Fortnite shut down order has been given in China and as of today, gamers will not be able to play this globally most popular survival game. This news comes from no official source today. In fact, it comes from those who are directly affected - the gamers themselves. Players are reporting that, as of today, they are not being able to access Fortnite on their gadgets. Notably, Epic Games had already indicated that it would be closing shop in China on November 15 weeks ago. Notably, this is so despite the fact that Fortnite game in China was specifically built for the country, leaving out some of the extremely violent parts. Also, how big the step taken by Epic Games is clear from the fact that China is the world's biggest gaming market.
Epic Games had in fact announced 2 weeks ago that "Fortnite China's Beta test has reached an end". It said that Fortnite servers duly would be closed. Fortnite-maker, Epic Games had indicated that it could not continue functioning in the face of the crackdown launched by Chinese authorities against online gaming. China blames these violent online games for spoiling children and making them more violent in addition to wasting their time. The target of these attacks have not been just foreign companies, even Chinese indigenously manufactured games are being cautioned. Apart from companies, authorities have even launched a crackdown that seeks to limit the time children can play online games. This trend of China targetting the tech sector has caused companies like Microsoft, Yahoo and others to exit the country.
Knowing that the time had come to bid goodbye to the game, players took to social media platform Weibo to post their comments. The numbers were truly massive, with the hashtag on the game being viewed over 470 mn times, AFP revealed.
"Friends who have played with me, we'll meet again if fate decrees," one Weibo user wrote.
Another player surnamed Zheng, 24, told AFP he would "first cry for a little" over the game he had played for over two years while at university.
Some, of course, are still hoping that Fortnite returns to China soon.
Follow HT Tech for the latest tech news and reviews , also keep up with us on Twitter, Facebook, Google News, and Instagram. For our latest videos, subscribe to our YouTube channel.